Finally, An ESV Study Bible

ESV Study Bible

ESV Study Bible

It seems the release of new study Bibles is all the rage these days. For those of you who follow this blog, my last post was on the release of the NLT Study Bible, and now the ESV is preparing to release an ESV Study Bible October 15, 2008.

The ESV Study Bible will feature over 20,000 notes, 80,000 cross references, 200 color maps and over 200 charts. The ESV Study Bible will also be available in eight editions, including hardcover, TruTone, bonded leather, genuine leather and calfskin.

If you are interested, check out the sample pages and illustrations here, and the list of endorsements here. Also, take a look at this excerpt from the introduction to the Book of Luke which includes a timeline, a map, an outline and much more. It is quite impressive. The ESV Study Bible will also be published simultaneously in print and online which will be available free to everyone who purchases a print edition.

Although I have a soft spot in my heart for the ESV, I think I can fairly say that this will be an outstanding study Bible, truly second to none. I cannot wait to get my hands on one. I know I have encouraged my readers to support the ESV, but I now encourage you to wait. If you don’t have an ESV or a study Bible (in any translation), wait until October 15, 2008 and get an ESV Study Bible. Better yet, order now and get a 20% discount through September 15, just go to the ESV Study Bible website and click Formats.

If you want to learn more, here are a few ESV Study Bible links:

ESV Study Bible website

ESV Study Bible Blog

About these ads

, , , , , , ,

1. #1 by WES on August 27, 2008 - 10:57 am

YES! YES! I second this plug.

We are all on this, man. We can’t wait for ours to come in. The scholars who worked on this project are outstanding.

2. #2 by petermlopez on August 27, 2008 - 11:13 am

Hey, Wes. I’m looking forward to it. I think it will be great. It’s good to hear from you.

3. #3 by hiscrivener on August 27, 2008 - 12:07 pm

It’s odd you know.

Take any Bible that either colonializes, rationalizes or marginalizes (COUGH… NASB… COUGH) the scriptures. They should be the same because anyone can take Koine Greek and implement those sage words into practical 21st century verbiage.

Well, they can, right?

Anywhoo… TLB and The Message lack authority for me. NLT sheds light on the heart of God but for some reason I seriously enjoy ESV too. Nice find with this post.

Incidentally, do you have a Dake’s? If you want a true STUDY Bible, that’s the ticket!

Peace

4. #4 by petermlopez on August 27, 2008 - 12:16 pm

I must admit I am partial to my NASB (perhaps because it was the first Bible that I read cover to cover), but I am only two months in to my ESV and I love it too.

I do not have a Dakes, but I have long resisted buying a study Bible…I just didn’t want to lug around a 5lb. book. I have used thinlines and then supplemented with study aids as necessary, but I’m rethinking this with an NLT Study Bible on the way and the new ESV Study Bible…my world is turning upside down!!!

Thanks, hiscrivener. Great stuff, as always.

5. #5 by Goannatree on August 28, 2008 - 9:56 am

I use an ESV for personal reading and study – it doesn’t quite flow as well as the NIV which was my choice for a number of years but I like its word for word accuracy. However, i’ve been going back to the Douay-Rheims and the KJV for some of my “scholarly” projects of late and really enjoying their literary qualities. I am happy to see this study bible is coming out- but personally i love a clean text with good (but not intrusive) cross references (and no red letter) for personal reading and study….

6. #6 by petermlopez on August 28, 2008 - 10:34 am

I agree. For reading I prefer clean (except for my own notes) text, that’s why I use thinlines for reading, and, as I mentioned to hiscrivener, I don’t like lugging around 5lb. books. I did that enough in college and law school…I still do for that matter, so I don’t want to do it in my off time. Yes, the ESV has some awkward renderings that impede the flow a little, but I think it is as readable as the NASB or NKJV.

Thanks, and welcome to my blogroll.

7. #7 by Sam Marsh on December 23, 2008 - 7:35 pm

A worthy plug of a really useful Study Bible!

8. #8 by petermlopez on December 26, 2008 - 11:56 am